Sunday, November 27, 2005

comments to the guys
Michael - I liked your stuff. I added to your section and put links. But please feel free to change it. My comment is that we should link bible verses and not quote them because it takes up way too much space. But I liked what you wanted to add. Please arrange that section however you want to!
Paul - I liked your analysis and agree that many of our readings haven't pertained directly to our wiki. I think the idea of hegemony was crucial. I read your thoughts. I guess I think his idea of democracies use of the power elite to make their experience the dominant experience is really critical for us. If in general over the last 100 years the experience we hear about is the older, white male... then we won't hear about racism, or inequality. If our collective lense is of those who are rich and in power (that is changing from just the while male) but it doesn't matter who exactly is that dominant group. To be dominant is not our goal as Christians. We do not want to "be on top." And for me the danger comes in when in our current culture Christians are the elite because often times that does mean that those who are poor, disenfranchised, etc. do not get heard. OK. I am babbling. But I was fascinating with his ideas of hegemony in a democracy, which is different than in other kinds of governments. We as Americans think we are 'for the people' but those people are those in power. That can be a dangerous thing no matter who it is in power.

But I am not sure any of the stuff from the book should go in the wiki.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home