Sunday, November 20, 2005

Several issues came up that I think we can address on our wiki.

First the issue of imigration. I think a look into this as a poverty issue in the US is a good idea. From a micro perspective - should we hire undocumented workers? I realize this is illegal... but why is it illegal? I mean are those laws helpful to imigrants or to us. People drive up to men waiting for work and hire them. Is that helpful for economic justice? or is that hurting them in the long run?

Also: the book brings up a factor in globalization that is "modernity." We may want to cite that as a factor in poverty in the US. I will look into some of the effects (one being "individualism" which we have discussed) it has on US economics.

Another issue this book made me think about is regional US issues. For instance would a Jesus follower respond differently or have different resources that an East Coast resident Jesus follower. Should we take regions into account as we look at what steps or encouragement we have for Jesus followers?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home