Monday, November 14, 2005

What I think we should add to our wiki:
This Post is from Erin... sorry so last minute guys!!!

I think we are all getting to a good point of figuring out what is relevant to US economic justice issues and bringing in our view of scripture to bear in mind in our discussions. I like how we can think both big picture and also muse on the details presented in the reading, like historical analysis of trade and the global impact of the stratification of economics that has happened over the last 60 years or so because of trade and specialization. It seems to me that all of this is driven by money rather than "sharing." Global trade seems to be entirely devoid of any altruism. I guess that should not shock me, but it does a bit. I liked what Michael said in particular about how international trade is usually a country seeing to its needs first. It makes sense to care more about the U.S. than other countries. I am just not sure that is what Jesus calls us to do, nor do I think it is very generous of us. It seems we seek to help ourselves first and if it is convenient we help others later. I find that a sad commentary on our values. Here are some things I would like to include in our wiki from each of us... quotes...

My blog:
Page 184 – This discussion on welfare I think is relevant to our economics discussion. “erosion of the employment prospects for the low-skilled workers as a result of trade places a significantly higher burden on the welfare system… thus global trade has had contradictory impacts in so far as it has increased the demands on the welfare state while undermining the political basis for funding it.” This strikes me as critical to our web-blog if we want to tie in global trade to U.S. economics.

Paul:
The apostle Paul never would have included a Gentile in anything, but yet he died as the, "apostle to the Gentiles." Sometimes I believe that we need to move beyond what "we" think and ask God what "He" thinks. Throughout history of empire's, to nation states, to trade, to globalization, the church either is doing what is right in proclaiming the gospel on a personal level, or they need to stop saying, "this is evil, that is evil, so I will not be involved, but will make it into another issue." In terms of U.S. Economic issues, money is the "god of this nation." Rich, poor, man, woman, it makes no difference. Covetousness is still sin. The apostle Paul stated in Philippians that he was rich, poor, beaten, imprisoned, for the sake of the gospel. In the midst of this, God was redeeming every place where the gospel was planted. This is what we need to get back to.

Michael:
If we assume that, as Americans, we have a natural obligation to value the needs of people within our borders more than the needs of others, we will spend in our money in certain ways. If, on the other hand, we assume that we belong to an international entity, the church, we will spend our money differently.
I also like that you added two things we can do: teach and start conversations. However, I think some of the conversations have already started. How can we affect the structures?

Justin:
something that directly confronts our topic, or at least economics! “Today all countries trade internationally and, with the odd exception like North Korea, they trade significant proportions of their national income” (p 149). After a brief discussion on what trade globalization is and its indicators (pp 149-152) and a long history of trade (pp 152-161) we finally get to the economic impact of trade. With terms like supply and demand, it made me glad that I paid attention to Econ in high school, but with all the other big words it made me wish I took it in college just to understand some of the concepts in the chapter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home